Sunday, May 23, 2010

Footsteps in the dark...

So I've come to a conclusion. I'm not going to discuss any music anymore with anyone that I'm romantically involved with. Yeah...that's what I've decided. We can't listen to music together, don't take me to a concert, if we're in the car, let's listen to talk radio because music is like a sponge, that soaks up whatever memory you are experiencing and rings it out EVERY TIME you hear that song. At least that's how it is for me.

*long, dramatic sigh*

Of course I have a story about this, several actually...but I won't bore you with the details. I'll just say that listening to the Music Choice station today while I got some things done took me through a range of emotions from sadness to regret, from anger to joy, from lust to disgust, lol. It seemed as though every other song held some type of memory that gave me pause.

Why is it that music is the tie that binds the heart to the past, even when we think we've moved on? Why is it that just a beginning chord of a song can work those heart strings the way that it does? Have you ever had a situation where you had to catch yourself from getting caught up just because of the song you were listening to?

Speak on it...

4 comments:

  1. Ugh...I so feel you. All the songs that were on my wedding CD...physically PAIN me to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tati, I swear I have even been in a situation with a current "Boo" and a song comes on and I immediately feel guilty like "Dude, if you could read my mind right now...". SMH

    I have an entire album I took out of the rotation because that was "our" album. Man please, nobody is messing up good music for me anymore, lol.

    *Only half serious*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. Troop and Tyrese. Two different men. Two different emotions. One recurrent annoyance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea...I HATE this. It's even so bad that if the guy i'm with is like ooo i LOVE this song (and it's smooth or slow)then i'm giving him the gas face like...who you thinking about????

    Cuz if you LOVE this old jam then when you fell in love with it you were lovin somebody! Now turn that isht off!!! HAHAHAHA! bordering on the psychotic.

    ReplyDelete